Thursday, October 8, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AFTON!



So in honor of this milestone of yours, I'm going to post one memory each day of your very first year- or so- for every year of your life since. Like I can remember THAT far back! All those times when you were a bitty fraulein living the life in Europe.  Those were the days!  Well, some of them anyway, bits & pieces of the long ago.  So to jog your memory....  Here goes:

Once upon a time, there was an exquisite baby girl born in Elgin, Illinois, and had that mirror of the Queen's been available, it would have said, "Indeed, this little one is now fairest of them all." (Thank goodness this is a different fairy tale, and we didn't have to go the poisoned apple route.)

Because your Dad was in the Army with orders to ship out to Germany on your due date (Oct. 10), we got the Dr. to agree to induce you a little early, so you two could meet. Dad seemed to think making this appointment to get to the hospital early in the morning and having a baby in hand a few hours later was easier than going to the Dentist. Maybe for him. Grandma Mudgie saw him in the Hospital Lobby after you were born, where he came to announce, "It's a Girl!", and said he was beaming to the moon and back.  

I wasn't sure it was quite that easy, but it was the most overwhelming feeling, the most spectacular thing that had ever happened to me. More than worth it. Flooded with love and gratitude, I looked around after catching my breath and simply couldn't figure out where the chorus of angels was, or at the very least, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Whenever had rejoicing been more appropriate?

How many times through the years have you again and again taken my breath away? Still, I remember with awe that very first time. With a crown of long black hair, delicate features, and a tiny pink rosebud mouth that would now dictate my every move, you were perfect. Absolutely perfect. And still are, my love.

2 comments:

Sydney said...

ok I am way too pregnant, because I am balling and now have no make up for the rest of the day....I am a TRUE BOOB!!! Happy Birthday Afton!!
ps a song from my blog was playing while reading this, plus I miss dad...

Sydney said...

i miss his smile!