Sunday, October 25, 2009

Afton---Ciao!


How good can life get---barely 6 months old and off to see Italy! Sweet!

What did you like best? In Rome, I was blown away by the Coliseum. I was convinced I really could smell the lions there. Following the ancient Appian Way and climbing down into the underground catacombs on the outskirts of the city, where the Christians lived and died seemed authentically sacred. Unbelievable, and extremely moving. I loved the fountains, Castle San Angelo with dungeons and all things medieval, all the venerable old Cathedrals. Everything. Truly everything.


For you, I think it was Piazza San Marco, which we reached by gondola in Venice. You went wild for the pigeons going wild over us, gathering on our heads and outstretched arms.

We stayed for most of our time there in Vatican City. The endlessness of all the priceless treasures in the Vatican Museum, room after room, was too much for my finite mind. The majesty of Saint Peter's, all the massive statues of Saints crowning it.

Then, the absolute supreme highlight---the Sistine Chapel, Michaelangelo's magnificent touch. Who would have thought we would ever get a chance to see that in the flesh? Hard to believe actually being THERE. We just stood there, speechless. And then a beautiful Italian couple, so classical, with a preteen son and daughter, approached us. In excellent English, they effused over you. "Ah, see, God's true masterpiece---your little one." Such a miracle is a baby. Kind of puts everything in perspective, no?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these stories! I can't believe all the places we went to! You know so much history and culture-it's amazing! I love the pic of us with the birds and remember it from when I was little also.