Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Afton---Intruder


Even though it was fun to be away from home on our many trips, life there wasn't exactly dull.

Johnny, the bartender and manager of the disco on the first floor, was a skinny, quiet guy who kept things interesting. Married and father of two, he found time to fool around with Frederika when she was not involved with "clients". Heidi had some funny ways to describe such arrangements, but I can't recall them now.

Anyway, I don't know what else Johnny had time for, but evidently things that aroused the curiosity of the authorities. One evening Dad was gone and I was nursing you back in bed when there was pounding on the door. It was glass, and it sounded like it was about to break. The next thing I knew, there was Johnny, diving under the bed. When the German Police came, it wasn't hard to act dumb. Dumbfounded already to have a strange man under my bed, I was pretty much in denial at whatever seemed to be transpiring. I couldn't/didn't understand them, and the favor was returned. He managed to stay hidden and left after they did, and that was the end of it. No rest of the story.

This was hardly the environment I had imagined bringing up a baby in, but I must say, you seemed to thrive on the drama and take it in stride. Everybody probably just seemed like silly adults to you. The only damages might have manifested in your proclivity to eat paper. Every letter from the States you ingested. Tummy still hurt? Is there a diagnosis for that? Can you sue your parents because of it?

No comments: