Thursday, January 20, 2011

Elgin State Hospital Part I

Recent events have called to mind my early Illini years of working summers at Elgin State Hospital. Ahhh, the glory days of mental illness, when people were warehoused in institutions rather than on the street. We've come a long way, baby!

When I was in elementary school we used to sing a clever little ditty about the inmates at 750 South State Street. Can't recall the words anymore, but I'm sure it was mocking and mean. Not my proudest moment. At the time we seemed to think that "those others" were so very opposite of us "normals". Fast forward to my late teens and after working with them and getting to know many patients there, I was no longer convinced of our differences, but amazed at how much we were alike, regardless of extreme, bizarre behavior. At that point it seemed crystal clear to me that it was all a matter of degree.

However, at the end of that spectrum were a lot of interesting manifestations. I wandered into this opportunity of close encounters of the strange kind the summer I was a college freshman. Somehow or other I qualified to be one of a handful of psychiatric aides in a pilot program. Come to think of it, I believe we were all nursing students. Probably this was an effort to get more nurses to specialize in an area that most were averse to.

Elgin State Hospital opened in 1872. In a history written for the commemoration of its 125th anniversary in 1997, I believe I read the patient population reached its zenith in the 50s---somewhere around 9-10,000. The grounds, nearly 1200 acres of rolling hills including a man made lake, were green and lush and beautiful, punctuated by buildings from different periods. Some 50s modern, some 20s cottage, some turn of the century grand scale---pretty imposing.
Like the Annex (small version of Central-the main bldg.) where I sometimes worked during my 3 summers of surreal employment. The intention from the start was to have the place be a tranquil setting to bring the treatment of the mentally ill out of the dark ages.

But it takes more than grass and trees and shelter to pull off that tall order, and there were many grim and awful things that transpired there. In the mid 20th century, ESH was a lab for psychotropic drug experimentation. Electric Shock Therapy, Cold Therapy, and random torture befell certain individuals who inhabited this place. It was the rare patient who was not drugged morning, noon, and night. Lithium and Thorazine were as ubiquitous as the hand rolled cigarettes that graced the lips of the bewildering faces there. It was a dangerous place for them to be.

It was a dangerous place for staff to be. Many patients were criminally insane with violent pasts and potentials. We were uninsurable. And for a reason. I knew nurses who were attacked and severely injured. It was no picnic. And yet there were light moments. Every day you had to laugh at something or other. Or cry. It was better to laugh when you could.  Not in a mean way like in elementary school, but in recognition of some of life's absurdity.

I always knew the timing for me to leave was perfect when summer was ending and I could return to the normalcy of college. I could tell it was getting to me, and the effect was not good. My opinion was that many of the staff who were there year after year had problems beyond those of those were legally committed. To begin with, many of the workers were uneducated and unaware. And those fine lines were often a blur. Those, the ones in authority, were the most dangerous of all because of the power they had over others in a vulnerable state. Isn't that always the way? {Disclaimer--many of the staff long timers were absolutely the most incredible people you would ever want to meet.}
Although nearly 1,000 souls are buried at the cemetery there, the only patient ever deemed "notable" in the official history--David Hyrum Smith, son of the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith--was confined there for 27 years. According to several sources, this may presently be the most haunted place in Illinois (try StrangeUSA), if you believe in that sort of thing. While I remember with great fondness many patients and staff, I think the haunting was in the flesh. My prayer is that those who were tormented have finally found great peace.

More later---     *5 subsequent posts about Elgin State Hospital followed in Jan, 2011

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melinda,

I find your blog very interesting. My father died there in 1952 in the veteran's section. Do you know anything about that area, whether there was a separate entrance? What dates did you work there?

Thank you in advance,

Beth

Melinda said...

Hello Beth,

I am so sorry to hear about your father. It makes me wonder about a world wherein young men (and women) are sent into the jaws of hell and then how we fail them when they come home. Tragedy upon tragedy. Was he buried in the cemetery there?

No, I'm afraid I don't know much about a veteran's section, although it seems like there was a little talk and perhaps that was in conjunction with the farm colony? I was there summers 1964-67, I think. As it was, the different smaller buildings were gender specific, the larger ones had male/female wings. Even so, there was little intermingling, except for meal times. So I had little familiarity with any areas other then those to do with my ladies. (I have no contacts left to refer to either. Everyone I worked with was older. The only name I can now remember is the Evening Supervisor at the hospital, and she committed suicide long ago.) Wish I could be of more help. Do you still live in the area?

Best,
Melinda

DK said...

Hi Melinda,
Around Thanksgiving of 2001, about 18 months after my husband dismissed an employee, he received a call from this employee (I'll call him Chuck). He invited my husband over to go skeet shooting. My husband, not the gun wielding type, declined. Six weeks later Chuck shot his father to death. Immediately after the shooting, in his delirium, he accused his brother and a "stranger who sped off" of the crime while holding the weapon. He was also muttering something about my husband, which is still unclear. We knew for a long time that Chuck had learning disabilities and suspected he may have been mildly autistic. He would occasionally tell us strange stories which got more bizarre as time went on. But he did his job well and we felt like there was a place for him. A few days after the killing, his brother called us and implied that Chuck did this because of his separation from his job. "But no one is blaming you" (remember Chuck wanted my husband to skeet shoot with him just 6 weeks earlier). Chuck was tried and found guilty of murder, sentenced to 50+ years and was placed in a state prison. He had a public defender and made appeal after appeal. He filed suit against his doctors and after 12 long years got a retrial and was found not guilty by reason of insanity. His brother has since died and his mother has lost the house and disappeared. He is now in the Elgin facility. What you say about this place being haunted by living, not the dead, is so true. Since he has been there, he calls us every weekend. (I'm guessing they get phone privileges on weekends) And he has sent us a hand made card colored with crayons. In many ways my heart goes out to Chuck, but I'm also terrified of him. Had my husband gone skeet shooting with him that day, I'm sure he would have been dead instead of Chuck's dad. As bad as that place is, I am so afraid he will get out and when he does, I am 1000% sure he will be at my doorstep. We have registered to receive notifications of his status change and have been told to get a restraining order against him (frankly a joke). This may sound like a bad movie, but I'm really afraid.

Melinda said...

DK,

I was surprised and chagrined to learn of your experience. Truly it is a bad movie. With a bizarre script.

I am amazed at your strength and depth of character. Few are able to say that their heart goes out to someone who possibly intends them harm. I pray that such grace will be returned to you a hundredfold. And that you will be safe.

In the last several years I have worked as a substitute teacher, long term for many different classrooms-special needs, autistic, specialized "difficult kids", as well as teens in JV and in prison-many have required cops in the classroom, some should have. A spectrum of the sweetest souls around to some so extraordinarily disturbed and violent. My heart goes out to them, their searing stories and circumstances. Who knows what has conspired to make their lives so strange?

But, nevertheless, others do have to be protected from harm. And it's ironic that those who should know best how important that is can only suggest a limp restraining order. Without getting into the witness protection program, what are the best precautions to take? Adopt a couple pitbulls, get armed, change phone #/name, move, plastic surgery? What is it they do in bad movies? (In the good movies, they can just ride off into the sunset. That's pretty appealing.)

Fears, grounded or not, have the power to make us live in our own prisons as well. And that's not really a life. So what are reasonable precautions that help to ameliorate the fear and yet keep us safe? I'm sure you have wrestled with that for some time now.

I wish I were wise enough to have some insight here, I feel like I'm surely old enough to think of something sage in such a situation. Strangely it is the words and spirit of a 16 year old who inspires me at this point.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/malala-jon-stewart_n_4073426.html

I trust that you will find a way to have peace and joy in your journey.

My very best regards!

Melinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Melinda, I'm looking into my genology. I stumbled upon your blog looking for info on Elgin. My aunt died there in 1930. I don't know much more than her name and that she killed herself. Just found out that she was in Elgin when she died. I know there is some interesting story about my great grandfather's death and Al Capone. But I can't find her grave. Do you know where they buried the dead before 1933 and if there is any place I can get records from?
Thanks !
Shershine@Aol.Com
Sheri

Melinda said...

Hi Sheri,

Good for you on the genealogy quest. Especially for searching for your Aunt, I love that she isn't forgotten, particularly seeing as she suffered so much in life. I see on the list that the ESH cemetery is only for 1933 and afterwards, so I wonder if she would have been buried in the old Bluff City Cemetery. I have some older relatives there. http://www.cityofelgin.org/index.aspx?NID=447

Of course, her relatives could have then taken here to another town/state entirely for burial. The best lead I could find for you is an historian who worked there- Bill Briska (847) 421-4022. Or you could try Elgin History Museum at (847) 742-4248.

Also in the comments here following this article, many questions are individually answered, providing leads for those, like you, who are searching for relatives. http://newberry.org/records-state-mental-hospitals-illinois-state-archives-part-1?page=1 Hopefully these sources can help you.

Best of luck!
Melinda