Friday, November 21, 2008

Thumbsucking

Waiting for the telling moment, when the Dr. would tell me the state of my condition yesterday, was a nerve wracking experience--- believe that's called life. Last week, I had been so underwhelmed when he would come in and examine my foot and just stare and stare and then leave and come back later and repeat. His comments were, "This is exactly what we fear happening in such cases", and he took his own sweet time to decide what to do. I left the office a little anxious. And then some.

So the day before this appointment I was prone to visions, like getting kicked off Dancing With the Stars for having a missing foot, or having leeches or maggots slathered on below the ankle in a last ditch effort to save it--- worst of all, never being able to drive again (7 weeks and I may have forgotten how already!)

So I was in a fine state (tears) when Willow snuck up on me and caught me at my own pity party. I hadn't even gotten into the maggot thing when she pointed her finger at me and said, "Look, Mom, I can be your Dr., or I can be your therapist, but I can't do both, so if you're going to act like this, call another of my sisters, because enough is enough."  

Hmmm. So I figured if she was man enough to keep tackling all the pus and blood and yuk, I could suck it up (not the blood or pus, of course) and only get hysterical if it turns out I really can't ever drive again. And that better not happen, especially now that gas is finally down. I mean, I never really watch Dancing With the Stars anyway. However, I obviously have needed therapy long before this incident, so Afton, Torrey, Treesje, consider yourselves forewarned!

Anyway, Dr. Tingey finally smiled at my foot, ugly and unappealing as it is, and proclaimed that this was exactly the best case scenario for the moment, because even though it is obviously still ripe with infection, it is better than last week, and so hopefully we have turned the corner. A couple of times he emphasized that "You still aren't out of the woods, it could boomerang" but he said I didn't have to see him for TWO WEEKS! Pretty much like being given the key to the city, isn't it?

I am taking this sanitizing in sunlight thing seriously-- 5 hours one day, 3 hours today, in addition to the antibiotics, Innerlight Silver Solution, Pureworks agenda. I don't think I can fail. But it does take time, as my sweet daughter-in-law Fumiko assures me. Thanks everyone for all the patience and support!

No comments: