Monday, May 9, 2011

Over The Top

Who can say when moments like these will happen? Moments where the whole world appears so beautiful, so perfect, that it seems both unreal and at the same time more real than anything you've ever known.

Even though I was barely 5 years old, I was keenly aware that day as I was walking home from kindergarten that something definitely out of the ordinary was happening. All alone, as I looked up into the sky, I was aware of seeing a blue I had never before imagined. More than cerulean. Deeper. Yet translucent. More intense than any Crayola crayon ever invented, any wave that ever crested, any priceless jewel ever coveted. I didn't just see blue---it was part of me, or I was beautifully part of it! And the white of the clouds in contrast, so brilliant, so pure. It too blended with my very being. The trees were greener than green, and so alive I could see vibrant life in every leaf. I melted into the warmth and exquisite glory of the sun, the gentle breeze was my very essence. It seemed as though time had finally stopped, and yet the world had just truly started, all fresh and beyond words to describe it, only to feel it. I don't know if I ever really thought of God before that day, but at that moment I knew He existed, and was perfect. I loved him wholly. I was never more alive.

Ever after, I began searching for Him, whom I had really already found. Paradox has since been my marker for truth in that journey. There are some moments, some days where the overpowering beauty and inspiration of it all is a resplendent gift for which to be ever grateful.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." (John Keats)

No comments: