Monday, May 9, 2011

If I Live To Be A Hundred....


As a little girl, I was so curious about God. At times I wondered if He were a combination of a Magic Genie, who could grant every wish, and the Ultimate Boogeyman, could make your life agony anytime you crossed the line and misbehaved! Sometimes I was scared of Him, sometimes grateful.   Deep down, whatever my fears and hopes, I had a trust that He was good and loving, probably because I had a father of bone and flesh who was just like that, but a dollop of that faith came from a special song that left me sure of it.

I came to know that God can care about even the smallest things, just like I cared about the tiny woodland violets I would seek in the Spring.

And that sometimes the evidence of doing little things is His way of showing love that is personal and oh, so tender. I think of it as leaving His signature, because no one else would have, could have, known how meaningful those little special touches would be. They may not always come as the answers we seek to prayers; often we are left to grow through our struggles, but there are times that they do. When I heard this song, I knew sometimes they do. If we are aware, the important little things and the important big things, like scarlet ribbons, will come to us in a time and way that is just right. Even if we wait through a very long night.

So if I live to be a hundred, ever will I know from where, come the ribbons, and the blessings---blessings, blessings everywhere.

Listen then, to a child's prayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVfgrGrVxGs&feature=related

Scarlet Ribbons

I peeked in to say good-night
And there I heard my child in prayer
"And for me, some scarlet ribbons
Scarlet ribbons for my hair"

All our town was closed and shuttered
All the streets were dark and bare
In our town, no scarlet ribbons
Scarlet ribbons for her hair

Through the night my heart was aching
Just before the dawn was breaking
In our town, no scarlet ribbons
Scarlet ribbons for her hair

I peeked in and on her bed
In gay profusion lying there
Lovely ribbons, scarlet ribbons
Scarlet ribbons for her hair

If I live to be a hundred
I will never know from where
Came those lovely scarlet ribbons
Scarlet ribbons for her hair

No comments: