Monday, January 18, 2010

Rhymes With ICK! BOOOOOO Eagles!!!!!!



Honestly, I thought I was so above and beyond getting this upset, but when I found out last week that Michael Vick was receiving a Heroic Award for Courage, I LOST IT!!!!!

See what you think:
"The Courage Award Goes to...Michael Vick?
posted by: alicia graef(CARE2Causes)

Ed Block was considered a hero. He served in World War II, was awarded a Purple Heart, earned a master’s degree and worked to help neglected children and end the cycle of abuse.

The Ed Block Courage Award is now given to NFL players who show “commitments to the principles of sportsmanship and courage.”

The recipient of this award symbolizes professionalism, great strength and dedication. He is also a community role model. With this honor, he enters into an association which contrasts his fierce profession by becoming a major component of the Courage House National Support Network for Kids. He becomes an Ambassador of Courage for victims of abuse, violence and neglect.

In December members of the Eagles voted unanimously for Michael Vick to be the recipient of this prestigious award.

Huh?

This award is especially insulting considering recent evidence that was released by the USDA to wsbtv.com under the Freedom of Information Act in regards to Vick’s investigation.

Informants told investigators that Vick and two others strangled low performing dogs by hanging them from trees, drowning them in buckets of water -- one person holding the hind legs, another person holding the dog's head. They said Vick and two others also killed dogs with a shovel, shot them and in at least one case slammed a dog to the ground until it was dead.Vick and co-defendants Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips "seemed to get an adrenaline high when killing the dogs," an informant said.

An award of this caliber is intended to put the recipient in a place where he can give a voice to the voiceless. It's intended to acknowledge a quality in human beings that we can all reach to attain. It was never intended to stroke the egos of hypocrites. Vick did exactly the type of thing Block took a stand against: abusing the weak and the innocent.

Congratulations to all of the other recipients who have overcome real obstacles and have become role models, like the Jacksonville Jaguars’ Richard Collier who was paralyzed as the result of a spinal cord injury, lost a leg and has since dedicated himself to being a speaker and role model for his area’s youth about personal responsibility and hopes to inspire positive changes.

Now that’s courage."

I checked it out and found more:

So what did Vick have to say?

"I've had to overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can bear," Vick said. "Take a look at what I've been through. You ask certain people to walk in my shoes, they probably couldn't do it. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world -- because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I've placed myself in, decisions that I've made -- whether they were good or bad."

EXCUSE ME??? He's the victim? Not the dogs?? Aaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh!


This made me ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS, so I contacted this now pathetic organization and said:

This travesty has just sown the seeds of your own demise. With no credulity left, your
organization has nowhere to go but downhill, and into oblivion.

Not only has this award become a pathetic joke, it has precipitated the exit of many from the halls of NFL fandom. Many will now find something worthwhile to do. Count me in on that.

Count me out of ever attending/watching NFL football again. Way to go Eagles. And what a sterling committee!

Sincerely,
Melinda Sleight

If it gets your blood boiling as well, here's how to let them know:
http://www.edblock.org/content/contact-us

3 comments:

Sydney said...

well that horrible. I tell you this society, including customer service, has lost it!!

do you want to blog about my customer service stories for me?

Dianne said...

I understand and agree with your reaction - it's disgusting. I have to admit I couldn't read your whole blog- had to skip the torture description(s), but I get the point. You have to believe there will be justice for MV and others like him- but not here, and not now. And then there are the idiots who give him an award. People never cease to amaze me!

Emilio said...

The people who voted for Michael Vick deserve an award!! Is there one for stupidity? For absurdity? Where is Eugene Ionesco when you need him? I feel as if I'm sitting front row center in the theater of the surreal!