Monday, January 4, 2010

"Hell of a Morning for Jury Duty"--- Las Vegas Courthouse Shooting


"Hell of a morning for jury duty," exclaimed the guy who videoed the area of the shooting at the Las Vegas Courthouse today.  You heard his observation on the YouTube posting, while listening to all the shots fired in the building.  For the families of those who died and were injured, ever will that be the most painful sound.

But he was right--- it was the wrong day for jury duty downtown.  Who knew?  I carried the summons in my hand as I walked toward the Courthouse with two other jurors I had just met in the garage elevator.  Soon we were interrupted by a man going the other way, "They're evacuating the Courthouse.  Just get out of here."

What?  No way did I get ready and make it all this way to turn around and leave.  At least not without some official dispensation so I wouldn't be arrested for no show or have to come back another time.  But as we approached the front of the building, and saw the gathering crowd, the wailing police sirens began to sound serious.  The sight of the police in front of the doors with rifles pointed, then soon the thundering herd of helicopters above, presented irrefutable evidence that this was not to be just another ordinary Monday morning.

One of the women I was walking with visibly paled and turned around, scurrying back to her car.  Another I encountered en route, Jane, and I determined to wait, find out what was going on, and what would be expected of us.  Bits and pieces of rumors filtered among us as we waited at the bottom of the steps.  Apparently two Federal Marshalls had been shot and killed; then it was one, then four, then the gunman had been shot in the head and killed across the street as he fled.  Then we weren't sure anyone had died.  Then we were.  First it seemed it was a lone gunman, then another had been apprehended and the area was being scoured for two more accomplices.

As time went on, it seemed strange all those law enforcement officers remained silent, and a few people would file out of the courthouse now and then.  It's a different world now because of the ubiquitous cell phone, because you can reach out and find friends and family who have access to media information that is unavailable to you when in the midst of something.  So soon the consensus was that someone had been shot and the gunman was down.

After an hour or so, finally an officer addressed us through the bullhorn.  Different protocols for different situations.  Don't quote me on this, but I think he said if you were there for a criminal case, your case was dismissed as of now.  I guess crime pays sometimes!  For those there about a civil case, the court would contact you in 2 weeks.  If you were there for this reason or that reason, whatever reason, you could leave.  Finally, he said if you were there as a juror, move to the side of the steps.  There an official let us know that no one had the authority to dismiss us except for a Judge.  Soon they would poll the Judges and see which of them would choose to hear cases if and when the building was secure enough.  So the attorneys walked, the criminals walked, the plaintiffs and defendants walked, but the jury was plain out of luck?  Justice isn't blind, she winks.  We were told that we could walk a couple of blocks to B of A, where there would be coffee (Starbucks) and restrooms. All buildings for several blocks were on lockdown, so our options were few to none.

Before 10, we returned to the Courthouse steps and were told that a decision would be made by 11:30 and we could call the Court to see whether we would a) be just dismissed with our obligation fulfilled, b) need to return tomorrow, or c) be summoned another time.   Oh, and "by the way", all the streets were still sealed off, and the parking garage on lockdown... so not like most of us could be going anywhere anytime soon.  Jane and I walked back to Starbucks to wait it out.  The weather was beautiful, but we sat inside where the omnipresent helicopters and police cars were less obtrusive and we could hear ourselves talk. We had a nice visit about everything but the surreal situation surrounding us.  Denial being what it is.  What a diametrically opposed experience to what the families of the victims were going through at the same time.  How is it that some people are dancing or relaxing or marrying when others are grieving, suffering, weeping at the same time?  Isn't this a strange, strange world?

When I called the Court on my cell and found out they would send out another summons for another day, I was chagrined.  No way did I want to come back to this place at another time.  I was defensive about the effort I had made to even be in town at this time, to make the trip downtown, to limp a few blocks to the Courthouse from the parking garage, to be one of those who did stick around for hours just in case.  All for nothing.  I know.  Me, me, me.

But my attitude changed a little as I drove away, down a few more blocks through the seediest of neighborhoods.  Seeing the really down and out hovering on the streets was another kind of sobering experience.  What they have to go through, and go without, made any inconvenience I imagined more than trivial.  Later, I learned that the man who caused all the drama and trauma this morning was a disgruntled old geezer who was angry about having his Social Security payments reduced when he moved from California to Nevada (he'd lost a Court case protesting this).  I wondered if he'd just taken a little drive through the neighborhood here, if he might not have changed his mind, and counted himself among the lucky ones.  Or was this perhaps his neighborhood?  What made him choose this battle?

Then I remembered listening to a man tell his story on NPR just this morning as I turned off the freeway to find parking.  He was born with a congenital disease that kills most children before the age of 2.  All his life he had lived in a wheelchair.  All his life.  His body betrayed him more and more everyday of his life, muscles wasting away--- he could no longer even hold a pencil.  People would sometimes tell him, "If I were you, I would kill myself."  Although he felt they likely meant that as a compliment, implying that he had exceptional courage to deal with all he had on his plate, he sometimes felt like replying, "Why, if I were you, I would try to kill myself."   But inside he has always felt he was one of the lucky ones.  Now with a great wife and two wonderful daughters, his life is full.  Did I mention he graduated from Harvard?

How do some of us choose to really live life against all odds, and others to kill and be killed?  More to the story:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jan/05/news-conference-scheduled-federal-courthouse/

How's your attitude? Mine?

More tomorrow.........................

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Sad, crazy...wow what a day!! Glad ur alive. Love u !!

Dianne said...

It had to be you that was called to jury duty that day, didn't it? I guess the perspective it gave you was worth the experience. Thank you for affecting mine, as well. Love you, Muff.