Friday, November 13, 2009

Afton---Shake It On, Baby

If you ever do get on Dancing With The Stars, you'll be able to trace your graceful moves back to the Old Country where our evening ritual was dancing to the music.  For one hour right around dinnertime every evening, AFN (Armed Forces Radio) broadcast American music, and I would go wild.  Rock out! Swinging you around, throwing you in the air, waltzing with you, everything but do-si-do and allemande left.  Without TV or radio or phones (too terrified to listen to the military news in the day by myself, and AFN was the only English language station we had), our only connection to our American roots was music, and precious beyond reason.  Exuberant moments.  Joyful, joyful!

After Adam was born and joined us in this ritual observance, wherein I had my arms full of 2 of you, I was ready for bed, if not hospitalization, at the end of our wild dancing hour.  Good thing we moved back to the States before you guys got too big to handle.  Still an armful of babies is an armful of babies.

Much later I remember watching you in your growing years as an extraordinarily graceful dancer at your performances.  Just wanted you to know I deserve a lot more credit than just paying for those lessons. Rock on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved my dancing lessons and am grateful to always have that passion. Lucky I got started at such an early age!