Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Afton---Forever Young

So this is perhaps the longest, most drawn out birthday card anyone has ever received.   I hope you were able to muddle through this virtual treasure hunt of sorts down memory lane.

But I confess I lied to you.  It's not going to work out to be a memory a day for every year because this is the last day, and I figure in my own twisted way, if I don't go ahead and share that last memory, you can stay 39 forever!


So no dusty memory for you today.   Just a simple declaration of the overwhelming, unconditional love I have had for you from before you were even born.  I hope that comes through the words and images that hint at the feelings I have had, through the times we have shared.

I have found looking back that life is really really rich, even if you're not. Even if it isn't all moonlight and roses, sometimes funny trumps all.  Hands down!  Or looking back and seeing that you really do have whatever it takes to get through rough patches gives personal strength and perspective that comes no other way.  Life, such an outrageous, extravagant gift, isn't it?

There's a book, Oh, The Places You'll Go (Dr. Seuss), that expresses some sweet empowering ideas.  Here and now, this remembrance has been a taste of some of the places you have been.  With deliberate intention I have exposed the foundations of some of the places I hope you'll someday return to.  Moreover, I wanted to fan the flames of discovery and adventure in your soul.  My wanderlust has enriched my life beyond my dreams, beyond my imagination.  I want wander wonder to make magic of your life too.  And it's not even necessary to cross oceans to do so.  "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." --Marcel Proust

But where you've been, where you'll go are small matters compared to who you've become, all that you do.  I would that you could see yourself for a moment through my eyes.  Let me just assure you that who you are and all that you do so far outshines the best of the marvelous places you have been, will go to. You, my love, will ever be my treasure in this amazing world.  I could not love you more.  Yet everyday I do.

Happy 39th birthday, baby girl!

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

Sydney said...

how sweet

Gill Family said...

ditto willow very sweet muff. but...uhhh...can afton really be that age?! not possible. Afton, you look like fabulous, wow!!