Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What A Shock!

Unbelievably, within months that shock of black hair was replaced with shockingly blond tresses. (In the summers, till you were out of elementary school, your hair turned as absolutely white as platinum blond hair can get.) Actually, it looked amazing! So much so that I refused to get it cut. Think when you were maybe 1 1/2 or 2, Dad took you for your first haircut, and I was devastated when you guys came back. It looked like you had been inducted into the Military! I felt sick that I had lost my baby; so soon it was grown long again.

Then came the summer we were up in Geneva, Idaho at Grandpa & Grandma Sleights-you were maybe 3. An older lady wandered from the back of the store-which was the front of their house-to the living room, for some unknown reason. She was startled when she saw you, and said to me, "Awwww, how cute! What's her name?" Thinking this stranger would figure it out on her own, I simply replied, "Adam". With a bemused smile on her face, she turned to leave, shaking her head and muttering, "Such a strange name for a girl."

I got used to getting your haircut after that, at least a little....

No comments: