Monday, December 27, 2010

By George, You Can Do It!

On our longggggggg cul de sac, Bellewood Dr. in Englewood, there was a boy a few years older than you, maybe 10. George definitely marched to a different drummer, and neighborhood kids made fun of him. You and Afton were kind to him. We talked about how that was important, and it pleased me that you would stand up for him. I mistakenly thought it was a one way street, we more "normal" ones looking out for the "less normal".

Then one day George came up the cul de sac looking to make a little money. For some reason, I was in the front yard watching as he went methodically door to door to see if anyone needed their lawn mowed. I must have seen him try at least 7 or 8 houses before he reached ours at the apex. He was sweating and smiling, both profusely, as he asked if we needed his help. Unfortunately, Dad had just cut ours. "George", I said, "why not turn off your lawn mower till you get hired and save a little gas?" It had been going full blast his entire journey. "Naw, that's ok," he said, "I know somebody is going to need me!" And, still smiling broadly, off he went with his noisy lawn mower to the next door neighbor. What a great lesson he taught me about how to live life. No holdin' back, playin' it safe. What an attitude.

Yeah, George wasn't too normal. Not at all.

No comments: