Friday, July 23, 2010

And Would You Like To Be A ....?


Watching the squirrel one day, and fascinated as I was by his movements, it suddenly hit me that if the Hindu paradigm could ever be established as "it" in the universe, I would opt out of reincarnating on Earth as a rodent. Even an adorable one. Lots of other less desirable paths as well, at least to my mind. I turned to Mom and blurted, "I'm coming back as a horse, just so you know, if the Eastern religions prevail. A wild horse. Just FYI."

Now Mom is about as into Eastern religion as much as I am, probably for different reasons, but she played along when I asked her what she would want to come back as, should she be reincarnated. "A dog; I'd like to be petted all the time."

I'd not asked for any specifics, but oh! the insight that gave. Seeing as I was giving her 2 hour massages every night, the petting was obvious.

Made me think about why the wild horse was the immediate image that came to my mind. Having always loved horses, it seemed so natural. But the intoxication of racing through life, wind in your hair, adrenalin in your heart, freedom in your nostrils; what could beat that?

Never having been one for psychology, numerology, or the like, I was a little intrigued nonetheless, at how we were pretty in touch with our own identities. Astrology and all those endless magazine tests that "reveal" what your favorite color says about you have always been so much hocus pocus to me. But in thinking of this animal connection, it's only me telling me about myself. Nobody imposing their notions on me. No right or wrong, no pressure. Not totally definitive, but interesting nonetheless.

So the next person I asked, answered "Quail." Unusual, no? But the reason he immediately proffered was, "I like belonging, the feeling of family."

So 3 for 3. I think it's an interesting momentary exercise. What's the first thing that came to your mind about what you'd choose if you could when you first started reading this? Why?

6 comments:

Emilio said...

OK, yes, I said a quail. But it's only because there was a parade of them in my backyard at the moment.

Lucky for me the neighborhood lizard was no where about!

Anonymous said...

I always thought I'd like to be a bird so I could fly. But..maybe it's for the worms; they've always looked so tasty!

Dianne said...

ooops....Dianne is anonymous.

Melinda said...

Robin? Eagle? Nightingale? Scarlet Breasted Tanager! Ahh, the possibilities.

And not to be Freudian, but flying!!!

Actually, had you considered it might just be Mom's well rehearsed drama, "Poor little worm, ain't you got no mama? Ain't you got no papa?"

Dianne said...

You're right - It must be because of my mother's poetic mantra....but then again, as to the Freudian reference, I am my sister's sister. hmmmm......

Melinda said...

Wanna go to heaven???