Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's All About Perspective

Yesterday I went to the DMV to renew my driver's license. As I waited outside for my daughter-in-law to pick me up (seeing as I can't drive for the duration), I was aware I was in the midst of people bumming cigarettes off each other. I overheard the conversation of two gentleman, the one explaining to the other he couldn't drive to the store to get more cigarettes because he was blind. He went into the history of getting diabetes as a kid, and not having a Dr. who knew how to handle it. They became so serious as they talked about the importance of taking care of yourself, really taking care of these things so you could have good outcomes, while they were SMOKING!!!!!! Wow! Now, if I can just figure out what it is I do to bring on my own issues?

Then my brother-in-law called me last night and was telling me about the project he's arranging with handicapped awareness with the sister cities he's involved with---Chicago and Paris. He was showing a video of handicapped dancers to a phenomenal guy who is a quadriplegic, who wistfully remarked, "Oh, those lucky dudes; they're paraplegics!" Everything's perspective, n'est-ce pas?

No comments: