Sunday, January 31, 2010

"To Err Is Human, To Forgive Canine"

Never thought of myself as an animal advocate to any great degree. But then, why else am I vegetarian in the first place? The book, Diet For A New America, surely changed my perspective back when, 15 years ago?

But I have pretty much been a quiet, make-no-waves crusader, content with changing only me. However, now I'm MAD!

I read this morning about a dog in Colorado being stolen from his owner's car by a woman who then asked her brother to get rid of the dog for her. He obliged by putting a rope around the German Shepherd's neck and tying him up to his truck and taking the dog for a 3 mile joy ride of sorts. The Denver Post reported “the dog was forced to run up and around steep hills at the Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction before it was dragged when it couldn’t keep up.” Paw prints in the snow were found to show Buddy at first walking, then running, then being dragged, for 3 miles. Buddy’s body was found with the rope still tied around his neck on a snowy road.

"'Demand Justice For Buddy' is a group formed to support the prosecution of Steven Romero, his sister, and anyone else involved with this senseless kidnapping and brutal murder. There is a petition being delivered to the prosecuting attorney in Grand Junction, CO, Jan.27 at 3 p.m. and again before each trial date for Romero. 'We want to get the maximum penalty the law allows. We support the US attorneys office to ask for the longest prison sentence possible.'"


SIGN PETITION AT: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/6/demand-justice-for-buddys-killer

I also joined the facebook group, To Honor Buddy "Tell 'Em Buddy Sent You" http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=236330769299&ref
"'Do It For Buddy' will truly honor Buddy. He was a shelter dog who was rescued by the Lebers and lived 4.5 happy years in their home with Joe and Sacha and their three heartbroken children. In Buddy's name, we ask that each of you please donate food, blankets, toys, pillows, cash and/or volunteer your time to your local animal shelters. Please tell them 'Buddy sent You.'"

I know this follows on the heels of my outburst at Michael Vick's Hero Award, which I consider the ultimate farce of the year (and wow, look at all that great competition), despite flack from my son that I am obviously against forgiveness and all things good, and bright, and beautiful.

Not so (according to me). Forgiveness in no way overlooks the problem created by a careless mistake or hardcore hatred. And it doesn't pay for the damages either. I believe payment, on whatever level, is what we call a consequence. If I smash into your car, whether you forgive me or not, I expect I'll have to pay to fix or replace it, no? (unless you live in S. Utah, where I guess you just slither off into the shadows when you wreck cars and let the wreckee deal with it...and to think, I almost was going to live there--yuk; but that's another story, and I digress).

The point is of course, we will all be happier forgiving others, but not letting them get away with things. In point of fact, Vick only served a very short time. He served time only for federal charges (the illegality of the dogfighting operation), NOT amazingly enough for animal cruelty. May I remind you in his acceptance speech (last post) he presented himself as the real victim while AT THE SAME TIME claiming to be stronger than 95% of the world population. (You may have noticed what easy lives most people in Haiti or Africa have, and they're black too...just spoiled, I guess).

Ok, touches my heart. Yours? The guy made a simple mistake. Like coloring outside the lines, using the wrong silverware at the Awards Banquet. His infallible Coach and teammates have given him a shot at the brass ring again. So he deserves a second chance. BTW, one that will make him hundreds of millions. Sweet. But an award for courage. Courage?

In that vein I would like to go ahead and nominate Adolph Hitler posthumously for the Nobel Peace Prize. Torture is torture. I figure the more dead, the bigger the award. Do I have it right now?

2 comments:

Sydney said...

i had to stop when you began... it will give me nightmears!!

Dianne said...

I don't like to know the horrors against humans or animals, either. Sorry, but I can't take that. By the way, I also didn't see the movie about Christ's crucifixion because I just don't want to know more than I already do. Yes, it's a pansy way to deal with all the depravity in the world, but it's how I cope. If I read your story in its entirety, I'd be very, very sick. Can't you write about daisies or babies or chocolate?